Carleton University Residence Accommodations and Recruitment along with The Catholic Center for Immigrants in partnership with the International Student Services Office of Carleton University will deliver an interactive information session on Housing for International Students and their accompanying dependents. You are invited to attend this important information session that will discuss the following topics about housing.
- Housing Search (how to use various search methods to find your new home in Ottawa, housing requirements, deciding where to live on or off campus, decide how much you can afford, find out what the rent includes).
- Types of Rentals in Ottawa (on-campus student housing also called Student Residence or off campus include apartments, detached, semi-detached and town homes, there are duplexes, triplexes and rooms for rent)
- Benefits of Residence Living (Student friendly spaces, meal plans with option for different diets, academic support and trained staff helping students build independence)
- Research Before Renting (Research the community and neighbourhood, average rental cost in area, age, size and condition and Furniture)
- The importance of Rental Unit Inspection (inspect an apartment before committing. Check oven, stove, refrigerator and freezer, inspect shower or bathtub for bathing, ensure closet space is enough for your Clothes, ask about common areas you will be sharing, ask how the heat works.
- Landlord and Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (Know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
- Lease Agreement (a legal binding document, with clear terms and conditions, a very good source of protection for both the tenant and the landlord.
- Tenant Responsibilities When Moving (Provide move notice in writing (usually 60 days), contact utilities, phone, internet, cable companies, re-direct your mail, take all your belongings and clean unit and return apartment keys.
- Paying Rent and Utilities on time (Due dates, what rent may include and common method of payment).
- And more!
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.