Carleton’s graduate programs in psychology train students to use the scientific method to study mind and behaviour. The PhD program is strongly research-oriented and emphasizes hands-on training. In addition to exciting opportunities for developing research collaborations within the department and across the University, students can enrol in a range of graduate courses and participate in community practica. Our doctoral program provides the knowledge and experience to launch and lead an independent program of research.
Being situated in Ottawa, our students are exposed to unique research opportunities and can access Carleton’s many connections to agencies in the nation’s capital. This training lends itself to work in many different government departments and agencies such as the RCMP, Stats Canada, Department of National Defence etc. as well as private consulting firms. Many career opportunities are available just down the road.
Carleton Grad Stories: Chris
Chris talks about the Advanced Cognitive Engineering Lab he works in as a PhD: Psychology student at Carleton to research how pilots fly.
Faculty Research Highlights
- the development of shyness, social withdrawal and social anxiety in childhood
- individual difference factors associated with health, coping with medical problems, and seeking treatment for them
- the development of new models of female criminal behaviour
- the relationships among personality, social behaviour, happiness, and environmental sustainability
- situational awareness and technology in complex situations such as critical healthcare and firefighting
Graduate Supervisor: Monique Sénéchal email@example.com
Areas of Research
- Forensic Psychology
- Personality and Social