International students seeking immigration advice are encouraged to connect with authorized advisors at Carleton’s International Student Services Office (ISSO).  More specifically, ISSO’s Immigration Information and Support webpage provides information about international student status in Canada and resources for making applications to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.  For additional support, please contact the ISSO directly at

Study Permits

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Ensure that you have a letter of acceptance from the educational institution (i.e. the school, college or university) in Canada that has accepted you before you begin the application process.

At the time of admission, Carleton will provide you with three (3) documents:

  • your Offer of Admission;
  • your Statement of Standing on Admission; and
  • your Letter for International Students.

The electronic copies of these documents will be available in Carleton Central after you receive an Offer of Admission from Carleton and are considered the official documents from Carleton University. You should submit these documents along with other required documents when you apply for a study permit.

Please consult the nearest Canadian consulate (embassy, high commission or government office) for complete regulations and applications procedures. You should also visit the IRCC website for more information.

Carleton’s International Student Services Office (ISSO) provides a Study Permit Guide which is also helpful.

Note: Carleton University’s DLI number is: O19332687812