After you have submitted your online application and paid the non-refundable application fee, Carleton will email you instructions on how to access Carleton Central. Your Carleton ID that you will need to access Carleton Central, will be assigned and sent to you in that email. Please note that it may take 1-3 business days for you from the time your application fee has been processed to receive this email.
At that time, you may need to upload any outstanding documents in Carleton Central that you did not upload within the online application. When you access Carleton Central, go to Student Records and click on the Graduate Admissions link. Here you can view a list of required documents and will be able to upload any outstanding documents required for your particular program. Some forms (if required) must be downloaded from the online application and once filled out, uploaded in Carleton Central. It is your responsibility to ensure that all documents uploaded can be read by an assessor.
You must upload your required documents as described below! Failure to do so will delay the processing of your application.
Submitting your documents
|Documents/Forms||Procedure||Maximum file size|
|Transcript(s)||upload a PDF copy of all post-secondary transcript(s) within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|Letters of Reference||completed electronically by your referees||not applicable|
|Statement of Intent||(if required) upload a PDF copy within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|CV/Resumé||(if required) upload a PDF copy within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|Writing Sample||(if required) upload a PDF copy within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|Preference Form||(if required) upload a PDF copy in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|Portfolio||(if required) upload a PDF copy in Carleton Central.
If your portfolio is larger than 2.0 MB, then mail a copy directly to your department.
|GMAT, GRE & Other test score(s)||(if required) upload a PDF copy within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|Language Proficiency (ESL Test Scores)||(if required) upload a PDF copy within the application or in Carleton Central||2.0 MB|
|MBA Complement Form||(required for MBA applications only)
upload a PDF copy in Carleton Central
|Funding Sponsorship||(if applicable) enter details within the application or email a PDF copy to Graduate Admissions||2.0 MB|
|Documents for Permanent Residents of Canada||(if applicable) upload a PDF within the application or email a PDF copy to Graduate Admissions||2.0 MB|
|Third Party Authorization Form||(if applicable) email a PDF copy to Graduate Admissions||2.0 MB|
About Submitting PDF Documents
All documents uploaded in Carleton Central for your application must be in an unsecured PDF format. Forms downloaded directly from Carleton are already in this format. Please complete these forms electronically, save them to your computer, and upload them in Carleton Central. Your PDF document must not have any password protection.
Note: Please ensure the fillable form(s) are first saved to your computer before completing them in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Completing the form(s) within your browser’s built-in viewer may cause compatibility issues.
When scanning a document (such as a transcript) ensure that you are scanning it into a PDF format by modifying the settings of your scanner.
If you have a Word or OpenOffice Document, you can save the file to PDF by following these instructions:
Word Document to PDF (Office 2010)
- FILE > SAVE AS > PDF
OpenOffice Document to PDF (OpenOffice 3.4.1)
- FILE >Export as PDF
To convert any other document type to PDF format, you may wish to use the online Neevia Document Converter. Ensure you select “PDF” as the output format and follow the instructions.
Note: This is a third-party website and Carleton University assumes no liability or responsibility for its use.
- Copies of your academic transcript(s) and degree certificate(s) from each post-secondary institution that you attended (past and/or current), showing all courses and marks are required.
- Transcript(s) must be in the original language and include a certified translation if the transcript is not in English.
- Only one complete file per institution should be uploaded. (e.g. do not create an individual document for each page of your transcript.)
- Transcript(s) must display your full name, academic program and the university’s name along with transcript legends/keys/grading scales.
- Current Carleton University students can request an unofficial transcript through Carleton Central which will be sent to your Carleton email account electronically.
- A PDF copy of your transcript(s) must be uploaded into Carleton Central.
If you have received an Offer of Admission:
- Official academic transcript(s) are only required if you are offered admission. You will be notified at that time, if this is the case.
- Note: Official Carleton University transcripts are not required as the university will confirm the completion of your degree(s)/course(s) from Carleton.
- Official transcript(s) must be mailed directly to Carleton from your home institution in a sealed university envelope from the office issuing the transcript(s). Official transcript(s) must indicate that your degree has been conferred. The mailing address is:
512 Tory Building, Carleton University,
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- If possible, please ask the institution to ensure that your name and Carleton User ID is noted on the outside of the envelope.
- NOTE: In the event that a domestic applicant has completed education at an international institution, and the international education is being used as the basis for admission, a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada).will be required to verify official transcripts. See details below under International Applicants.
- Official transcript(s) must be in the original language and include a certified translation if the transcript is not in English.
- NOTE: The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs will accept official documents electronically through Parchment Exchange if documents are normally sent through this third party provider.
If you have received an Offer of Admission, a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP) from World Education Services (WES Canada) will be required on your final transcripts. You will be notified at that time, if this is the case. The completed evaluation on final and conferred transcripts must be sent electronically to Carleton via WES.
Please review your Country specific document requirements for the WES ICAP prior to starting your application.
If you already have a WES evaluation (USA or Canada), you can add Carleton University, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs as a document recipient. Note that the evaluation must be a Course-by-Course evaluation (WES ICAP)
Applicants are encouraged to submit all post-secondary transcripts to WES for verification and evaluation upon initial application, regardless of the specific degree that is being requested from FGPA.
- NOTE: Carleton University reserves the right to verify any documentation for accuracy. Verification may include contacting the institution that issued the document, contacting the Ministry of Education in the country concerned, contacting the appropriate Embassy or Consulate, consulting a certified government translator and/or requesting third party verification by an authorized educational service agency.
- A referee is a faculty member with whom you have studied and is able to assess your potential for graduate level study and research. References from non-academic supervisors may be accepted in certain cases i.e. professional references or for professional programs.
- Contact your referees before you apply online to confirm their availability and their preferred email address.
- When filling in your online application, you are asked to include email addresses for your referees.
- After your application is submitted and your application fee is processed, the referees you list in your application will be sent an email asking them to fill in an Applicant Reference Form. A secure link to that form will automatically be provided in this email to each referee.
- It is your responsibility to follow up with your referees to ensure they have received the email and that they submit the reference before the application deadline.
- The email is sent from email@example.com with the subject line “Carleton Referee for Admission”. Referees may need to check their spam or junk mail folders.
- If you have listed the same referee for multiple graduate applications at Carleton, they must submit separate references for each program. (an email for each application will be sent)
- Please note that the number of referees required (2 or 3) depends on the program to which you are applying.
- You can check in Carleton Central to see which of your referees have submitted the Applicant Reference Form for you. Please note that it may take up to two business days from the time your referee submits their reference for this to be displayed.
Add a Reference
- Once you have submitted your online application, containing email addresses for your referees, you cannot change that information.
- In rare situations, it may be necessary for you to add a new reference. To add a referee, please complete the Add a Referee form.
- Your Statement of Intent allows you to explain your personal interest in the program to which you are applying.
- It should reference the kind of knowledge you expect to gain from the program and should define the reasons why you chose the program and how it can satisfy your own interests.
- If your program of interest requires a specific Statement of Intent form to be completed, it can be found in the Supplementary Forms section of your online application.
- Your Statement of Intent must be uploaded as a PDF document in Carleton Central.
- Refer to your specific program to see if a CV or resumé is required for your application.
- A CV/Resumé for your application for admission should be a one or two page concise summary of your skills, experience and education.
- A CV/Resumé is essentially your full academic and professional profile. It should include a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honours, affiliations and other details.
- Your CV/Resumé must be uploaded as either a PDF document in Carleton Central.
- Refer to your specific program to see if a Writing Sample is required for your application.
- Your Writing Sample must be uploaded in Carleton Central as a PDF document.
- You will want to limit the size of the sample so you can upload it in Carleton Central. If you receive an error during upload, your sample may be too large a file.
- Some departments require you to fill in a preference form that will ask you to outline your preferences for the program specialization, research area or faculty supervisor.
- If required for your program of interest, the Preference Form can be found on the Instructions page of your online application.
- Your Preference Form must be completed and uploaded as a PDF document in Carleton Central.
- Required for Architecture*, Industrial Design, Journalism, Physics and Social Work applicants.
- Your Portfolio must be uploaded as a PDF document in Carleton Central.
- Note: Other than Social Work, if your portfolio is larger than 2.0 MB, you must mail a copy directly to your department.
- *For Architecture only: The portfolio must be submitted as a single PDF file (max. 10 MB) via SlideRoom (http://asoaau.slideroom.com).
- Some programs require students’ test scores to be submitted within the online application such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT).
- It is your responsibility to have completed any relevant test with the appropriate score before the application deadline.
- A PDF copy of any required test score must be uploaded within the application or in Carleton Central.
- For admission into Carleton’s graduate programs, you will need to demonstrate that your knowledge and use of English are strong enough for graduate studies at an English-language university. For a complete list of minimum English-language test scores that Carleton accepts, please visit our English as a Second Language (ESL) website.
- English-language proficiency test scores must be taken within the last two years of receipt of your application.
- Unofficial copies of your test scores must be uploaded as a PDF within the application or in Carleton Central.
- Letters from your universities stating the medium of instruction is English are not acceptable.
- If you have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree within the past three years in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any country in which the primary language is English, where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was English, and the language of instruction in your most recently completed undergraduate or graduate degree was English, you must complete the Confirmation of Language Proficiency form. You must then save and upload it with your required documents in Carleton Central as Document Type: Language Proficiency.
If you have received an Offer of Admission:
- Official ESL test scores may be required if you receive an offer of admission. You will be notified at that time, if this is the case.
- Official ESL test scores must be sent to Graduate Admissions directly from the testing agency. The mailing address is:
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
512 Tory Building, Carleton University,
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- The MBA Complement Form is a requirement for MBA applications only.
- The MBA Complement Form can be found in the Instructions section of your online application.
- The MBA Complement Form must be completed and uploaded as a PDF document in Carleton Central.
- Applicants receiving a scholarship/sponsorship from an external agency* must provide details in the Financial Support section of the online application. A copy of the scholarship letter may be required.
- Personal letters of sponsorship, such as those from family members and banks, are not required.
*For a listing of external agencies which have international agreements with Carleton, please visit this website. For information concerning funding sponsorships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must upload a PDF copy of their supporting evidence in the Personal Information section of the online application. This may be a Permanent Residence Card (front and back) or Record of Landing form (IMM 1000).
- A Third Party Authorization Form must be submitted by applicants who wish to be represented in any matters related to the application process by a third party (parents, friends, agents, etc.). Therefore, if the applicant would like someone else to inquire about their application, the Third Party Authorization Form must be filled out and a PDF copy emailed to email@example.com.
In accordance with Carleton’s Document Retention Policy, documents submitted in support of an application for admission become the property of the University. Carleton University retains electronic student files for all students admitted for the 2014 summer term and beyond. Original documents that have been digitized for inclusion in the student’s file are destroyed in compliance with the University’s privacy policies. Under exceptional circumstances, original documents may be returned to the applicant within a reasonable time frame. Contact the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs for more information.