*On January 22, 2024, the Government of Canada announced a cap on new study permits for international students studying at Canadian post-secondary institutions. The announcement can be found here. This cap does not apply to students enrolled in master’s and PhD programs and current study permit holders are not included in the cap. For the most up-to-date information about study permits to Canada, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. Immigration questions related to your study at Carleton University should be directed to our International Student Services Office.

Apply Now →

Carleton is home to many international graduate students who chose to attend our university located in Ottawa, Canada. Approximately 22% of our graduate student population is made up of international students and many of our other students were born outside of Canada making Carleton a distinctly international university.

When to Apply

The majority of our graduate programs offer admission for the fall term (September). However, some of our programs also offer admission in the winter term (January) or summer term (May). Although the application deadlines will vary depending on the program you are interested in, the deadline to apply for the fall term is typically between January and March of the same year calendar. As a general guideline, it is recommended that you begin the application process at least 5-6 months prior to when you wish to begin your studies.

How to Apply

Applying to grad school at Carleton is a multi-step process and is the same for both international and domestic students. For application information, click here.

Study Permits

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. At the time of admission, Carleton will provide you with an Offer of Admission, a Statement of Standing on Admission, and a Letter for International Students. The electronic copies of these documents are available in Carleton Central after you receive an Offer of Admission from Carleton and are considered the official documents from Carleton University. You should submit these documents along with other required documents when you apply for a study permit.

Please consult the nearest Canadian consulate (embassy, high commission or government office) for complete regulations and applications procedures. You can also visit the IRCC website for more information.