Carleton has known expertise in this field, producing highly qualified graduates to work on projects ranging from high-speed/high-frequency circuitry to optical fiber communications.
Our renowned researchers work in areas such as biomedical engineering, computing, electrical engineering, engineering systems and analysis, interactive multimedia systems, software engineering, speech/signal/image processing and telecommunications.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering program is also offered through the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Electrical and Computer Engineering which allows our students access to the largest program in Canada with resources both at Carleton and the University of Ottawa. Learn more about Ottawa-Carleton Joint Institutes.
Carleton offers a collaborative specialization in Data Science and two master’s programs:
- MASc in Electrical and Computer Engineering, which requires the completion of a research thesis.
- MEng in Electrical and Computer Engineering, which is coursework only.
You may also be interested in our MASc in Biomedical Engineering, which has four areas of study: Medical Instrumentation, Biomedical Image Processing, Biomechanics and Biomaterials, Medical Informatics and Telemedicine.
We also offer a PhD program in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Carleton offers modern, well-equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment and excellent computer facilities. The university’s location in the national capital allows for proximity to and collaboration with relevant government departments, the National Research Council, Communications Research Centre, high-tech industries, and, through OCIECE, access to resources and faculty at the University of Ottawa. Your proximity to these facilities ensures that your potential career is just around the corner.
Fields of Specialization
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Aided Design for Electronic Circuits
- Computer and Software Engineering
- Computer Communications, Distributed Systems, and Multimedia
- Digital and Optical Communications
- Integrated Circuits and Devices
- Microwaves and Electromagnetics
- Photonic Systems
- Signal, Speech and Image Processing
- Systems and Machine Intelligence
Faculty Research Highlights
- VLSI/RFIC design and design automation
- Interactive multimedia, speech/image processing and communication systems
- Solid state services, microwave devices and electromagnetics
- Biomedical engineering and photonic systems
- Computer/software engineering and machine intelligence