Carleton has known expertise in this field, producing highly qualified graduates to work on projects ranging from high-speed/high-frequency circuitry to optical fiber communications to computer systems and software engineering.
Our renowned researchers work in areas such as biomedical engineering, computing, electrical engineering, engineering systems and analysic, interactive multimedia systems, software engineering, speech/signal/image processing and telecommunications.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering program is also offered through the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Electrical and Computer Engineering which allows our students access to the largest program in Canada with resources both at Carleton and the University of Ottawa. Learn more about Ottawa-Carleton Joint Institutes.
We also offer a MASc and MEng program in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
The Department of Systems and Computer Engineering offers a concentration in Software Engineering for the MEng, MASc and PhD programs. It focuses on developing advanced software engineering skills and competencies in cutting edge research areas such as Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Computing, Autonomous Systems, Cybersecurity, and more through coursework, projects and/or thesis.
Carleton offers modern, well-equipped laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment and excellent computer facilities. The university’s location in the national capital allows for proximity to and collaboration with relevant government departments, the National Research Council, Communications Research Centre, high-tech industries, and, through OCIECE, access to resources and faculty at the University of Ottawa. Your proximity to these facilities ensures that your potential career is just around the corner.
Fields of Specialization
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Aided Design for Electronic Circuits
- Computer and Software Engineering
- Computer Communications, Distributed Systems, and Multimedia
- Digital and Optical Communications
- Integrated Circuits and Devices
- Microwaves and Electromagnetics
- Photonic Systems
- Signal, Speech and Image Processing
- Systems and Machine Intelligence
Faculty Research Highlights
- VLSI/RFIC design and design automation
- Interactive multimedia, speech/image processing and communication systems
- Solid state services, microwave devices and electromagnetics
- Biomedical engineering and photonic systems
- Computer/software engineering and machine intelligence