A leader in its field, the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs (NPSIA) has an international reputation for providing the interdisciplinary training necessary to understand international issues and policy in a complex global environment. Our expertise includes: conflict resolution and security, terrorism and intelligence, international trade and finance, international governance and development. NPSIA is the only Canadian full member of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs, which is committed to preparing students for the global workplace of the 21st century.
A collaborative specialization in African Studies is also available.
In international affairs, capital cities are where the action is. NPSIA’s location in Ottawa gives the School a direct window on Canada’s role in international affairs, while allowing us to engage with the international policy community. Students benefit from having direct access to officials from government departments, business and non-governmental organizations based in Canada’s capital city. Career opportunities are just down the road, and are facilitated by our extensive internship and co-operative education programs.
Fields of Specialization
- International Economic Policy
- Conflict Analysis and Conflict Resolution
- Intelligence in International Affairs
- Security Defence Policy
- International Organizations and Global Public Policy
- International Development Policy
- Project Management for Development and Humanitarian Assistance
Faculty Research Highlights
- Canadian foreign policy
- Fragile States, conflict and development
- International development policy and foreign aid
- International economic policy and trade negotiations
- Security and intelligence studies